INPE Conference, Haifa, 13-17 August 2018
The first paper of project one: “What are the characteristics of wonder-full education” is accepted to be part of the upcoming INPE (International Network of Philosophers of Education) conference in August 2018 at the University of Haifa, Israel.
Lynne Wolbert will present her findings there to an international and broad community of educational researchers and philosophers.
The paper proposes six ‘rules of thumb’ for schools that aim to give wonder-full education:
- Create an awareness that one’s knowledge can be incomplete or mistaken;
- That there is more to be learned;
- That some phenomena exist at all;
- Create an awareness of unexpected connections between phenomena and ideas;
- Awareness of the beauty of natural phenomena;
- And create an awareness of the Otherness of the other.
(cf. Hadzigeorgiou 2014, p. 50)
The theme of the conference is Education, Dialogue and Hope and there will be keynote lectures by Nicholas Burbules (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign), Ayman Agbaria (University of Haifa) and Nel Noddings (Stanford University)